Irrespective of whether you are something of a DIY
enthusiast or rely on your welder for everyday use, a high-quality MIG welder
is a worthy investment. If you’re prepared to pay a little extra for a top
notch product, you’ll be rewarded with quicker, more efficient joints with
cleaner seams. An additional benefit of a high-performance MIG welder is that
it allows you to weld thick pieces of metal together without sacrificing
Forney has embarked on something of a re-launch in recent
times, and the 309 is the first release after these changes. The result is an
advanced welder with functions such as a faster disconnect, longer gun, and a
higher duty cycle. If you want to upgrade your existing welder or purchase your
first machine, read on to see if the Forney 309 MIG Welder is the right option
What is the Forney 309?
The Forney 309 140-Amp MIG Welder is a striking unit
available in a dazzling bright green color. It is made by Forney Industries,
one of America’s oldest distributors of welding and metalworking products
having been formed in 1932.
The 309 MIG is one of its latest and most advanced models
with a variety of features that help it stand out when compared to its rivals.
You can operate it in an ordinary household outlet of 115 Volts, and its
maximum power output is 140 Amps (the range is 30-140A). It is practically
ready out of the box and comes equipped with a gas hose and MIG regulator. The
Forney 309 is versatile because it enables users to practice flux cored and MIG
welding. It is ideal for mild and stainless steel, aluminum and cast iron.
The unit weighs a reasonable 62 pounds and is portable
thanks to the well-designed handle. As all of its operating features are
available with just four tabs, it is relatively easy to use.
Features & Specs
- Its cast aluminum drive system allows for greater durability.
- It is designed for ease of use with simple switching between MIG and flux core welding.
- The handle allows for portability and the cable wrap feature prevents entanglement.
- 10-foot long premium MIG torch.
- Input power range of 115-120V which allows a heavy duty weld.
- Output power range of 30-140A.
- Enables users to engage in gasless flux-cored welding and gas-shielded MIG welding.
- Replaceable and compatible parts.
- Welds metal up to ¼ inch thick.
- Accepts spool sizes of 4 inches and 8 inches.
- Accepts wire diameters of 0.023, 0.03 and 0.035 inches.
- It is one of the best and most versatile MIG welders in its class which means it can be used for various work sites including maintenance, metal fabrication, farms and auto repair shops.
- It has a huge cabinet that provides plenty of space for tools and storage thanks to the convenient lift-up door. As a result, it is a lot easier to pack and unpack which allows for a cleaner workspace.
- The high duty cycle enables you to use the Forney 309 welder for extended periods of time without the need for a break. A problem with cheaper welders is that you have to take a break in the middle of a project for the machine to cool down. There is no such issue with this welder.
- Unlike most welders where the main problem tends to revolve around the torch, the Forney 309 makes it incredibly easy to remove the torch. In fact, you can remove and replace it with liner in a matter of seconds.
- The longer than average MIG Gun makes it easier to use because you can complete a distant welding job without having to transport the whole machine.
- The MIG Gun can be connected with Tweco compatible consumables. Don’t underestimate the importance of compatibility as it provides your welder with more versatility.
- Although 140 Amps is enough power for home use or if you run a small business, it isn’t nearly enough for industrial work sites.
- While the MIG and flux core welding options are excellent for a machine in its price range, it does limit welding capacity to one-quarter of an inch. If you attempt to exceed the maximum level of thickness, functional damages are the likely result.
- The Forney 309 is marketed as a welder for beginners, but there is a bit of a learning curve
This item is available for sale on Amazon.